Student Guidance 

Respect  –  Dignity at Study 

King’s College London is committed to protecting the dignity of its students in their learning and participation in university life, and in their interactions with others. This includes providing a university environment that is free from discrimination, bullying, harassment and victimisation. It should be noted that discrimination, bullying, harassment and victimisation do not only take place face to face. They may also occur in written communications, by email, or by phone, or online.

The university recognises its duty of care to students. Inappropriate behaviour can result in stress and stress-related illness, and this can affect students’ wellbeing or attainment and lead them to withdraw from their course. All students and staff share this duty of care. The university therefore expects all members of its community to treat each other with respect, courtesy and consideration. All students and staff have the right to expect good conduct and professional behaviour from others, and have a corresponding responsibility to behave professionally and with good conduct towards others.

Information for all students and staff can be found in the Misconduct General Guidance document.

Report – Do you want to take action? 

If you experience harassment, bullying or sexual violence, you can consider the following actions:

Informal options might include explaining directly to the offender that their conduct is unacceptable and this may prove enough to make them rethink their actions. However, it is recognised that bullying and harassment may require very assertive action to address or confront the harasser particularly if they are in a position of authority. In this case, you can speak to member of staff such as your Personal Tutor, who may be able to share the concerns raised through appropriate channels to seek an amenable resolution on your behalf. It will be helpful to make a note of incidents, including any dates and times so that you can give examples.

The Anonymous Reporting tool allows you to raise a concern and  help the university to identify patterns and trends in the incidents reported in order to improve the way we respond to reports. 

Formal reporting is when an incident is so serious that you cannot resolve the situation yourself and you decide to make a formal report. This can be done by emailing the Student Conduct and Appeals Office – Students may also use the Stage Two Complaint Form to do this and seek support from a Harassment Advisor.

If the complaint is about a student, it may be considered under the Misconduct Regulations, and if the report is about a staff member, it may be referred to HR. Once a formal report through either of the above processes is made, a preliminary inquiry or investigation may then be undertaken to identify a resolution and any actions to be taken.

Any King’s students who are members of the military or civil service and who experience or witnesses bullying, harassment or discrimination whilst at Shrivenham are encouraged to consult the JSCSC D&I Webpage (available via the Defence Academy Information Service) and to contact either the chain of command or a dedicated Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Advisor.  Full details, including template forms on how to report appear at this link.

Support  – Do you need to talk someone for help? 

The KCLSU Advice service can talk students through formal procedures, answer any questions and support students through misconduct procedure process.

The Harassment Advisor Network provides advice and support to current King’s Students on areas relating to harassment and bullying.

Student Services is first point of entry to all the support services provided at King’s including Student Advice, Disability Advice Service, Counselling and Wellbeing.
The  Student Services team are based in four libraries across all campuses and accessible on campus, online and by phone.

Want more information? 

You can find out more by reading our Frequently Asked Questions or reading some example case studies on informal resolution or formal complaints.