Reporting for Students – FAQs


What counts as Bullying and Harassment?

Bullying is repeated behaviour which is intended to hurt someone either emotionally or physically. Harassment is unwanted conduct related to a relevant protected characteristic, which has the purpose or effect of violating an individual’s dignity or creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for that individual.

Bullying and harassment do not necessarily occur face to face; they may occur in the form of written communications (including email, visual images, social media, telephone and SMS). Bullying and harassment can be initiated by someone in a position of authority; it may also be carried out by an individual or a group of individuals.

What is the difference between sexual misconduct, violence, sexual assault and sexual harassment?

Sexual misconduct is a broad term encompassing any unwelcome behaviour of a sexual nature that is committed without consent or by force, intimidation, coercion, or manipulation.

Sexual violence and abuse is any behaviour of a sexual nature which is unwanted and takes place without consent or understanding.

Sexual assault is defined as: a person intentionally penetrating the vagina or anus of another person with an object, or part of the body other than the penis, without their consent, and without having reasonable belief in consent. Rape is when someone has penetrative sex with another person against their will. This includes vaginal, anal and oral penetration. Sexual assault covers any other sort of sexual contact and behaviour that is unwanted, ranging from touching to any other activity if it is sexual.

Sexual harassment isany unwanted behaviour of a sexual nature that you find offensive or which makes you feel distressed, intimidated or humiliated.

Where can I find examples of behaviour which come under misconduct?

Information for all students and staff can be found in the Misconduct General Guidance document.

Where can I find case studies and examples of outcomes?

The following case studies are included as examples of the types of issues raised and the range of outcomes that might be achieved. Please note that the incidents and outcomes outlined in these cases are specific to the circumstances involved and to the evidence presented. All reported incidents will be different and therefore outcomes may vary from those presented here.

Omar’s case: Informal resolution

Rachel’s case: Making a formal complaint

What if I need to reporting incidents at a King’s partner organisation?

If the incident occurs at the site of one of our partner sites, you should inform your Clinical Adviser, Link Lecturer or King’s Account Manager who will be able to explore the issues raised and advise on the appropriate steps which could be taken. If you are a medical student on a clinical placement you can raise a concern via the online Raising Concerns form.

How do I report an incident whilst I’m studying abroad?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

If an incident occurs whilst you are studying or working abroad as part of your King’s studies, you should inform the local police and a member of staff in the international office at your host university or main supervisor at your workplace. You should also let either your King’s Personal Tutor or your Study Abroad Tutor know, as well as the Study Abroad Office, so they can ensure you are in receipt of the appropriate support from King’s. Contact the Study Abroad Office on 44 207 848 7385 or study

Do I have to attend the hearing?

Attendance at a hearing is not compulsory, but it is in your interests to attend a hearing and the College would strongly encourage you to do so if you are able. The KCLSU will usually accompany you to hearings if you request it, and may represent you at a hearing if you are unable to attend. To arrange this, you should contact the KCLSU on or telephone 0207 848 1588.

I cannot attend the hearing. Can I have the hearing on another date?

If you are unable to attend the hearing you should e-mail the Student Conduct & Appeals Office on immediately. If you would prefer to attend the hearing but are unable to do so on the scheduled date you should e-mail the Student Conduct & Appeals Office and request a deferral of your hearing, stating the reason(s) why you are unable to attend on the scheduled date. On receipt of this request consideration will be given as to whether a deferral may be granted. Please note however that Committee hearings are complex to organise and deferrals are normally only granted in exceptional circumstances.

Can I bring my parents/friends to the hearing?

You may be accompanied to the hearing by a family member or a friend (either from inside or outside the College) but that person will not be allowed to speak on your behalf. However, the Chair of the Committee will have the discretion to consider representations from you for your friend/family member to make a statement at the hearing.

Who will be sitting on the Committee?

The Committee will comprise of a Chair, at least one (usually two) academic members of staff from a Department other than the one which has submitted your case, and a student member. In Disciplinary Committee hearings, a member of the College (usually the Student Conduct & Appeals Manager) will present the case to the Committee.

I have received the Committee documentation via e-mail. Am I supposed to print it out?

No. The Student Conduct & Appeals Office will usually send you a hard copy of the Committee documentation, unless instructed otherwise.

I am really worried about my hearing and don’t know what to do.

The KCLSU are on hand and are highly experienced in supporting students who are going through a misconduct process. The KCLSU will accompany you to a hearing should you wish, and may also represent you at a hearing in the event that you are unable to attend. In addition, the College has a number of support services, including the Compass, Counselling Services and your Personal Tutor. You should avail yourself of some or all of these support systems.

I have examinations coming up but I’ve been invited to a hearing. What should I do?

If you have been invited to a Committee hearing which is to be held on a date on or around an examination you should contact the Student Conduct & Appeals Office to discuss your situation.

I’m not happy with the outcome of the Misconduct Committee, what can I do?

You may submit an appeal against the findings of the Misconduct Committee if you wish to challenge its decision; however there are set grounds that an appeal can be submitted on, which are set out on the Misconduct Committee Appeal Form and in the Regulations. Appeals based on disagreement alone are not permitted. The Misconduct Appeal Form should be submitted within 14 days of the Committee outcome to the Student Conduct and Appeals Office, by email. You should normally receive a decision within 60 days of receipt. If you have not received a decision within this timeframe, please contact the Student Conduct and Appeals Office for an update on your case.

I’m not happy with the final decision of the College, what can I do?

If you have exhausted the College’s internal procedures and are dissatisfied with the final decision, you may escalate your case to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA) for an independent review to be undertaken.

Further information on the OIA can be found here.